We are proud of our roots and our history and want to share this with you!
The Band is a totally self-supporting registered charity and continues to support other charities such as the Bristol Children's Hospital, St Peter's Hospice, Dogs for the Blind and the Jessie May Trust to name a few.
Band members come from all walks of life. We are an equal opportunities organisation and welcome players of all ages and ethnic backgrounds.
Here's some details on our origins....
Bristol East Band
Founded in 1892 as the Bristol East Temperance Band by George William White for the miners in the locality, the Band has had a continuous presence in local activities and wider afield. The White family, widely known in East Bristol, were heavily involved from the beginning in conducting, teaching, playing and administering the Band's affairs.
The Band participated in various contests with the highlight of each year being the West of England Championships in Spring. The Band was consolidating it's return to the Second section prior to the merger.
Kingswood (Bristol) Band
The Kingswood Bristol Band, as it is was last known, was formed in 1958 by Mr Herbert Sevier. Consisting initially of boys from the Potters Wood Methodist Church it went by the name of 'Kingswood and District Band'. The first rehearsal, taken by Herbert, was on 14th January 1959. The band rapidly grew in numbers and success, reaching the National Finals in London in 1966. It was also in 1966 that the now 'Potters Wood Kingswood Hill, Bristol Silver Band' amalgamated with the Albion Dockyard Silver Band who were also conducted by Herbert Sevier. The band's name now changed to the 'Kingswood (Potters Wood) Silver Band'. The band was now going from strength to strength, culminating in promotion to the Championship Section.
The band secured sponsorship from local manufacturing company Bendix in 1976, a partnership that lasted over 20 years. 'The Bendix Kingswood Band' again reached Championship status in 1988.
A severe lack of players almost caused the band to fold in the mid 1990's but, through the loyalty of the members, built its way back up.
In 2000, the band was placed 1st in the regional championships held at the Riviera Centre, Torquay, becoming the Boosey & Hawkes National Brass Band Champions of the West of England (2nd Section) enabling them to compete in the National Finals in Preston.
The band qualified again in 2001, again enabling them to compete in the National Finals. In this year both the Regionals and Finals were held in Torquay!
Although throughout the banding world they became known as 'The Bendix Band', sponsorship from the Bendix company eventually ceased with the company's demise. With this in mind, in July 2006 the band changed it's name to the 'Kingswood Bristol Band'. Thus maintaining it's links to the community it regards as home.
With the band in a new era we are looking forward to continued success in the future, continuing to entertain audiences across the region.